Snowblast Winter Festival
Stop Hibernating! Plan to attend SnowBlast Winter Festival!
February 1 - 2, 2013
The 7th Annual SnowBlast Winter Festival will take place throughout Emmaus, February 1 and 2, 2013. February is the perfect time to bundle up and head to Emmaus to have a blast … a SnowBlast! The festival schedule is packed with free, community-wide art related events.
Activities planned by the Emmaus Arts Commission (EAC) include many favorites such as the Friday night kick-off on the Emmaus Triangle with an appearance by the SnowBlast Ice Princess, Sculpted Ice demonstrations and the popular Ice Bar hosted by the Emmaus Main Street Partners (a partner of the Greater Lehigh Valley Chamber of Commerce.) The EAC winter art festival includes the SnowBlast Art Show and Sale at the Clock Building featuring special musical performances. Saturday continues with activities scheduled at the Emmaus Public Library, the Clock Building and other sites throughout Emmaus.
The winter season is an exhilarating time of year to enjoy a blast of outdoor activity and experience cool shopping, art demonstrations, cozy coffee shops, and dining.
SnowBlast 2013 activities*
Friday Night, February 1 - Unless otherwise noted, events take place from 5 pm – 9 pm
- Opening Ceremony, Emmaus Triangle Park – 5:30 p.m.
- Sculpted Ice demonstration, 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m., Triangle Park.
- Emmaus Main Street Partners host Ice Bar on the Triangle featuring the popular “Icetini,” Warm Spiced Wine, Lager, Soda, Bottled Water.
- 3rd Annual EAC SnowBlast Winter Festival Art Show & Sale at the Clock Building (328 Main Street) – featuring a collection of artwork by local talent. Musical performances include EPSD Elementary Chamber Players, 6:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.; Lehigh Valley Horn Ensemble, 7:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.; Lehigh Valley Jazz Trio, 5:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.
- Interactive poetry happening as well as poems and music celebrating the Winter season with Lisa DeVuono, poet and Michael London, musician, 6:30 p.m. – 7:00 p.m; 8:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. – Clock Building.
- Appearance by the popular SnowBlast Ice Princess! 7:30 p.m. – 9:00 p.m., Triangle Park.
- Face Painting and Silent Auction - Clock Building
- Artist demonstrations by Richard Farmer, Bob Boehmer, Dave Blank and Janelle Hamscher, 6:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m., Clock Building.
- Family and summer-themed oil paintings by Emmaus artist Lauren Kuhn, artist demonstration, 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. – Creamery on Main, 332 Main Street.
- Tai Chi demonstration featuring instructors and students from Lehigh Valley Martial Arts, 5:30 p.m., 7:00 p.m., 7:30 p.m. - Triangle Park.
- Demonstration Team from Lehigh Valley Martial Arts, 6:30 p.m. – Triangle Park.
- Chinese Calligraphy demonstration by Linda Rashid, 5:00 p.m., 6:00 p.m., 7:00 p.m., 8:00 p.m. – Quaker Maid Kitchen & Bath, 337 Chestnut Street.
- Emmaus Singing Society and winter party – Cottage, 379 Main Street.
- Superhero art by Marvel/DC artist Bob McLeod, 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. - The Finish Line Running Store, 10 South 4th Street.
- Photographer Lisa Furey showcases natural light lifestyle photos; Wine and cheese tasting - 2HipChics, 244 Main Street.
- Jewelry-making demonstration featuring jewelry designer and artist, Denise Tempest, 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. – Emmaus Jewel Shop, 338 Main Street.
- Food vendors at Triangle Park featuring Armetta's Italian Restaurant & Pub, Creamery on Main, Sugar So Sweet Cupcakes.
- Outdoor Games (and fun!) at Triangle Park – Snowman Beanbag Toss, Ring Toss and Fish Pond sponsored by Lehigh Valley Martial Arts.
- Music by Wesley Works Entertainment!
- Lara Bly, Fashion Designer, demonstrating her creative fashion design on-site -- Impulse Boutique, 346 Main Street.
- Food specials – Traub's Doggie, 251 Main Street and Thai Thai II, 302 Main Street
- Asian Drum demonstration, 6:15 p.m. to 6:45 p.m. – Buss Paints, 327 Main Street.
- Baked Café and Bakery, 228 Main Street – Special art opening of new artwork by local artists and Chill chaser drink and food specials.
- Violin and Viola Duets by Michael Montero and Sharon Olsher, 8:00 p.m.; Stonekeep Meadery Wine Tasting -- House Splendid, 345 Chestnut Street.
- Painter and fiber artist Shirley Hartman featuring painted scarfs; musician Yancarlos Sanchez, 7:00 p.m. to 9 p.m.; Wine and Cheese – Amber Connection, 420 Chestnut Street.
- Musical duo of MJM performing jazz tap guitar with vocals, 7:00 p.m. to 10 p.m.; Special art opening of new artwork by local artists; SnowBlast Chill Chaser drink specials - King Koffee, 506 Chestnut Street.
- Fiber arts, open knit - Conversational Threads, 4 S. 4th Street
- SnowBlast Chill Chaser drink special at Lee Gribbon’s; SnowBlast after-party, 9:00 p.m.
- Fire Pit warming stations on the Triangle and more!
- "Winter Wonderland" Emmaus Historical Society will be open Friday, February 1 from 5:00 to 9:00 PM
Saturday, February 2, 2013, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- The Emmaus Arts Commission presents Make Superhero Bookmarks with Bob McLeod – 10:30 a.m., Emmaus Public Library, 11 East Main Street. This activity uses "follow-the-leader" style art instruction from artist and EAC Commissioner Bob McLeod. Blick Art Materials is donating supplies for the first 25 participants (while supplies last.)
- 2nd Annual SnowBlast Winter Festival Community Art Project sponsored by the Emmaus Arts Commission and Blick Art Materials. Project theme – Graffiti Art! 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Clock Building. Blick Art Materials staff and volunteers from Emmaus Arts Commission will be on hand to help kids and adults alike draw and create graffiti panels. Completed artwork will be on display at Lee Gribben’s on Main for the month of February.
- Family and summer-themed oil paintings by Emmaus artist Lauren Kuhn – Creamery on Main, 332 Main Street. Artist demonstration, 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- Story time and craft-making with Martha Vines, Emmaus Public Library, 1:00 p.m. to 3 p.m. (Story times at 1:00 p.m. and 3:00 p.m.)
* Activity times and location subject to tweaking/change.
Since 2005 the Emmaus Arts Commission has brought family-friendly events and artistic community pride to Emmaus and the Lehigh Valley. SnowBlast Winter Festival, Student Horror Film Festival, Earth Art Rain Barrel Project and other events are made possible through generous contributions and fundraising activities through the Emmaus Arts Commission and its sponsors and supporters.
SnowBlast Winter Festival 2013 is brought to you by:
The Emmaus Arts Commission with sponsor support furnished by Lafayette Ambassador Bank and Vinart Lehigh Valley along with Rileigh’s Outdoor Decorations, Emmaus Main Street Partners, Greater Lehigh Valley Chamber of Commerce, Emmaus Public Library, Sharp Signs and Graphics, First Niagara, Lehigh Valley Martial Arts, Bear Creek Mountain Resort, Wesley Works Entertainment, Natural Awakenings Magazine, Blick Art Materials, Ice Cream World, Gene Clock, The PRESS, Ai Orthodontics, Montero Violins and Emmaus Patch. Special thanks to Emmaus Borough Council and Public Works Department, Planet Games and students and art teachers from Seven Generation Charter School, Jefferson and Lincoln Elementary Schools, St. Ann School and Emmaus High School.
SnowBlast Winter Festival Art Show & Sale
Call for Entries
As part of SnowBlast Winter Festival activities, the EAC is pleased to announce the call for entries for the 3rd Annual SnowBlast Art Show and Sale on February 1 and 2. Art entries are open to artists of all ages. All works must be an original creation and all media welcome. Each artist shall provide an easel/support for their artwork and provide their personal resume and artist's statement for display.
Entries and easels for the SnowBlast Art Show & Sale will be accepted Wednesday, January 30th, 2013, 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. at the Clock Building. Each artist may show a limit of one piece per person. Artwork may be sold for profit, interested patrons will contact the artist directly for payment.
Please download this form and submit with entry.